Being a Multipotentialite

For years I thought I had a short attention span since I couldn't focus on just one interest area and I got easily bored if I had to do the same thing all the time.

I have always felt pulled in a million directions at once and tend to flit from one thing to another like a butterfly who has to sample all the different flowers in the garden



As a result, I often have many unfinished projects cluttering up the house and my brain feels very scattered. Having deadlines and priorities seems to help but I still tend jump around from project to project.

It's so refreshing and a relief to find the site Puttylike by Emilie Wapnick.

I just love the whole idea of being a multipotentialite, a person who has many passions and interests and doesn't want to settle for just one.  

Throughout my life, I have had various interests of creative writing, blogging, drawing and painting, playing flute, singing in a choir, acting and set design,desktop publishing, graphic/web design, photography and scrapbooking. 

I love the articles at Emilie's site that reassure me that I don't have ADD and that it's okay to be passionate and curious about many things. It's also okay to be introverted and spend lots of time alone creating and exploring as I often thought that was a flaw as well.

To know there are others who feel the same is even more reassuring. I'm not crazy, after all! I'm an introverted multipotentialite.

I especially like this particular post by Emilie about how to manage being a multipotentialite to our best advantage and make it work for us.

4-skills-that-will-dramatically-increase-your-chance-of-thriving-as-a-multipotentialite/

How about you? Are you a multipotenialite?

Comments

  1. Oh thank goodness! ☺ I've always been this way as well and was SURE I had ADD! Thanks for helping a fellow multipotentialite, Cathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're so misunderstood except when amongst those of our own kind, eh, Debbie?

      Delete
  2. I love that word! I will have to check out her site - thanks for the link!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We multipods have to stick together, eh, Laurel?

      Delete
  3. That's cool! I'll have to add that word to my list as I definitely am one of those: I have many passions and interests and can so relate to your story Cat. And yes, I have been diagnosed ADD though refuse medication...long story very short. ;) <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can see I'm not alone and many creative people are like me which is a relief.

      Delete
  4. I didn't know there was a word for it...I have the same but only for things I don't enjoy! :D Thanks for this

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How does that work for stuff you don't enjoy? You try it, decide you don't like it and move onto something else? I've done that, too.

      Delete
  5. Aha! This is so wonderful! Learnt something new and I can so relate to this. Will check out Emilie's post on being multipotentialite! Thank you Cat for sharing this! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment and reminding me it was my turn for the blitz, Shilpa.

      Delete
  6. Multipotenialite!! Awe... I liked that word. Yes, I am one. I get bored concentrating on just one thing. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me, too, and I used to think I was lazy or had ADD. What a relief!

      Delete
  7. Learnt a new word today - multipotentialite! And hey, I am one too ;) Even I cant seem to stick to one particular field and have so many passions that I wantto follow :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So many interesting things to explore that it's hard to stick with just one, eh, Swathi?

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

B is for Beauty of the Birds #AtoZChallenge

#MicroblogMonday - Small Actions Do Make a Difference