Amazing Grace




My mom just adored music. She always had the record player or radio going when I was growing up. Her tastes were so eclectic from Handel’s Water Music to Mireille Mathieu to the Beatles. She loved it all. 

She loved her Scottish heritage so much and gave us an appreciation for it, too. I often remember the house swelling with the sound of Cape Breton fiddle music or bagpipes.
Once back in the 1970’s, my mom heard a beautiful rendition of Amazing Grace on the radio. It featured the lone piper along with the full pipe band.  My mom was so taken by it, she rushed home and phoned the radio station to know the name of it as she wanted to buy the record. To this day, I can’t hear Amazing Grace without thinking of her. It is especially poignant now that she’s gone and I dedicate this music to her memory. 

Here is a recording of Amazing Grace with the lone piper accompanied with a pipe band. Hard to listen to without shedding a few tears for the recent loss of my mom.



My mom loved all the recordings I would send to her and my dad of the Village Voices Women's Choir I'm in and Tartan and Tea, the flute and harp group I'm in with my friend, Sharon.

Now when I perform, I perform in her memory and it makes it that much more poignant and special for me. 

I thank my mom for instilling a love of music in me for a lifetime. 

I am writing something every day for the Yeah Write NoMo Challenge for November. http://yeahwrite.me/november-2015/



Comments

  1. Sorry for your loss... but you have to be thankful for knowing such a wonderful woman who imbibed so many strong values in you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful tribute to your mom.., sending you a hug on your loss ❤️❤️

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing Grace is such a powerful song, especially when it carries memories of a particular loved one. Thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful rendition of the song and a lovely tribute to your mom, Cathy. Sending ((HUGS)) and condolences. ♥

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

B is for Beauty of the Birds #AtoZChallenge

#MicroblogMonday - Small Actions Do Make a Difference