How do you like them apples?



The poem below was inspired by the delicious McIntosh apples we’ve been enjoying from the lone apple tree at my inlaws’ place where there used to be an apple orchard years ago.

We gathered up all the fallen apples into many bags and have been enjoying them in everything from desserts to soup. They are a bit bruised and wasp munched but other than that they are delicious. We just cut off the bad parts and use them to make applesauce, apple cake, apple muffins, and I even added some to some squash soup.




What’s your favourite apple recipe?

Here is my favourite applesauce cake recipe I’ve been using for years out of an old cookbook. I don’t know where I got the cookbook from as it’s not a family heirloom or anything. I don’t use any other recipes in it but the applesauce cake recipe is just dandy and I make it all the time as you can see by the splatters. Moist, sweet and very tasty. Sometimes I add yogurt instead of too much oil and I throw frozen or dried cranberries in just for variation. It says it improves with age but usually it doesn’t last long enough so we don't know for sure!





How do you like them apples?

Apples scattered below the tree
A lovelier sight I’ve yet to see,
Fresh and crunchy, I take a bite
An angry wasp flies away in spite,

Apples straight from the apple tree
I love the fact that they are free.
Chopping apples by the bunch
Eating apples, crunch crunch, crunch,

Freezing apples to have on hand
Storebought apples taste so bland,
Apples taste great in muffins and pie
Just give my applesauce cake a try,

We’ve got apples piled up to the ceiling
Here’s a knife, you can help with the peeling!
If an apple a day keeps the doctor away
We must be darn healthy, wouldn’t you say?


I am writing something every day for the Yeah Write NoMo Challenge for November. http://yeahwrite.me/november-2015/

Comments

  1. Apple tart is my all time, hands down favorite dessert. I also like Jewish apple cake, and apple pie. I like apple desserts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apples are yummy in most anything, aren't they? Thanks for the comment.

      Delete
  2. Your poem makes me want to actually see an apple tree..I haven't had the chance of seeing one up close and personal yet...An orange tree, yes but not been lucky with apples!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment, Naba. Apple trees are so beautiful with their blossoms and laden with lots of yummy apples. I saw an orange tree in Florida once. None up here in the North. Way too cold!

      Delete
  3. Such a happy poem!
    That cookbook looks well used - or should I say well-depended on. Maybe I'll try out that recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment, Sreesha. Appreciate the comment on my poem. Yes, I have used that recipe a lot. Funny I never use any other recipes in that book, only that one.

      Delete
  4. I don't follow a recipe, but I love love LOVE homemade apple crisp. I haven't made it in years - maybe it's time to do so again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. MMM, I love apple crisp, too. Such a great combination. I should make it again, too. I've been going crazy making lots of applesauce loaf since applesauce is a good way to use up apples. It takes a lot of apples to make sauce. Think I'll make more today before the apples go bad.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

B is for Beauty of the Birds #AtoZChallenge

#MicroblogMonday - Small Actions Do Make a Difference