My Anchor



I am writing this for the Blog-a-Rhythm Wordy Wednesday picture prompt of an anchor from a photo by Sreesha Divakaran which you can see at this link. Wordy Wednesday 


My mom was perfectly imperfect as we all are. She was stubborn, a bit selfish and often wanted things her way. She had a notorious redhead’s temper and wasn’t very patient. 

She didn’t like being a homemaker all that much and preferred to work as a nurse when we were growing up during the 1960s and 70s. 

She reminded me of Lucille Ball and even looked a bit like her with the red hair and big expressive eyes. Impulsive and brash, she would plunge full speed ahead into situations without thinking about it first. Often she’d get herself into a mess like Lucy would. But like Lucy, she had a great sense of humour and could laugh off her mistakes and continue on.

I’m so different in that way and tend to play it safe too much. I always wished I had more of her gutsiness. She wasn’t afraid to take a risk and fail which I often am.

She discovered painting and loved doing her fine arts degree in later years while working as a psychiatric nurse at the Allen Institute in Montreal. She joined art groups, had shows and sold her paintings to admirers of her work. Later when she retired to Cape Breton, she would give workshops and art tours to other art enthusiasts.

Having to deal with the mundane realities of day to day life made her resentful at times. I can understand that feeling. Creative pursuits take us away to another place that transcends time and we lose ourselves in the magic. I’d much rather write, or do my music and photography than housework any day! I have definitely inherited her love of art and creativity!

Despite her shortcomings, I always knew I was loved and she was encouraging and supportive to me. She was like my anchor in many ways.

She wasn’t perfect, but whose mother is? She was my mother and now she’s gone. I sure will miss her but have many wonderful memories to sustain me through the sadness of grief. 


I am writing something every day for the Yeah Write NoMo Challenge for November. http://yeahwrite.me/november-2015/

Comments

  1. What an amazing woman she was, Cat! I would say a, complete woman.
    I can imagine how much you must miss her, sweetie. Hugs to you! But, do believe in the fact that she is there around you, somewhere, watching over you, guiding you...your anchor. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. A lovely tribute to your mom, Cat. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was beautiful Cat! Truly amazing woman, your mum - strong, independent, talented - your anchor! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

B is for Beauty of the Birds #AtoZChallenge

#MicroblogMonday - Small Actions Do Make a Difference