Winter Woes



Is it really November 1st already? Where did the fall go? I find it such a bleak time of year once the glorious leaves fall off the trees and everything is so grey and dark. Add in the time change which makes the day dark at 430pm and it’s downright depressing. Keeping upbeat and positive is challenging on these dull days but worth the effort.

To combat that blah feeling, I’ve joined the NoMo challenge at Yeah Write http://yeahwrite.me/november-2015/ and will write something every day for all of November.

Here is a poem I wrote about our favourite season here in Canada - Winter! (I can hear my Canadian friends groaning out there, right, Debbie?)




Winter Woes

The trees are bare, the sky is grey
The night lasts longer than the day,
As I hear leaves crunch beneath my feet
I’m sorry I whined about summer heat,

Arctic winds are fierce and wild
Taunting me like a bratty child,
My face is frozen, so are my toes
The wicked wind just blows and blows,

Winter isn’t that far away
Snow will be here any day,
Soon the snow will stay and stay
Probably until next May,

I can’t just mope and become a slouch
Eating bonbons on the couch,
It’s easy to fall into a slump
And become a great big lazy lump,

Winter is a time to play,
Not to waste the days away
I bundle up and out I go
I must try and enjoy the snow,

Of course it’s easier said than done
I don’t find winter that much fun,
You have to try and love winter when you live here
It lasts pretty well the whole darn year!

Comments

  1. Hahaha! Oh boy, is that familiar! And you dedicated it to ME - "She who hates winter"? It doesn't last until May here (usually), thank goodness, but I know it's even colder and more brutal where you are!

    Love the poem, Cat - it captures the essence of the season so well. Good luck with your daily challenge. I'll be reading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Debbie. It doesn't usually last till May here either but at least til mid April (And April doesn't rhyme as well as May!) and that's long enough by me. I thought of you when I was writing this poem and how you dislike winter. It's not my favourite season either but I guess I have to put up with it like every other rugged Canadian. Either that or go South.

      Delete
  2. Haha! That's perfect! Shared on Twitter!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hehehehe I tend to eat a lot in winters and as summer arrives I realize it a little too late ;) awesome poem and rhymes :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ugh! I hear you about eating more in winter, Raj! I'm starting out feeling heavy so that's not a good sign as Christmas and winter will really push me over the edge. I guess winter in Australia is not quite as brutal as here in Canada but some places do get snow, I hear. I am enjoying seeing your spring photos. Those blossoms you showed were exquisite.

      Delete
  4. One thing I don't miss from my Midwestern US years - snow! And yes chilly winters :)
    That's a fun poem on winters, Cat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Beloo. Yep, the winters are chilly alright. Guess you must have really noticed a difference living in the US and in India as far as climate goes. India's winters don't sound too harsh compared to here.

      Delete
  5. Hey, Cat, that was such an amusing poem on the big, bad WINTER! I remember how we would talk about it...just some months ago, isn't it? And, it is here again! Time flies by so fast!
    Very sweet poem, and also very good to see you HERE...at NoMo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Shilpa. Glad I got that gadget thingie to work finally with some help. Yes, here we are entering another winter. Didn't we just have winter? Sigh. Fun to be doing the challenge with you. All the best with it.

      Delete
  6. Your poem is so beautiful, Cat! But then you have such a gift for verse!
    I love winter - somehow, there's such beauty in those bare branches - they sometimes seem to shine, getting ready for the next cycle of life when it comes - as if it shed the leaves so they wouldn't suffer from the cold. Hugs! I am looking forward to being your NoMo buddy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind words on my poetry, Vidya. Yes, there is a stark beauty in the winter with the skeletal limbs of the trees but I do prefer the fine foliage of fall. (Say that ten times fast!) hehe! All the best with NoMo and NaNoWriMo! Nice to have NoMo buddies!

      Delete
  7. Here's hoping this winter is milder than last - they say it's supposed to be, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely poem to welcome winter! Kudos to you for taking the November challenge to write everyday. I have slowed down to focus on 1-3 posts per week. Good luck with the challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely poem to welcome winter! Kudos to you for taking the November challenge to write everyday. I have slowed down to focus on 1-3 posts per week. Good luck with the challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hahahah - that was a fun poem to read dear Cat! Hello King Winter!:-) hahaha - mixed emotions I can sense for sure... hahaha - Good luck on your challenge my sweet friend. Huuuugs

    ReplyDelete
  11. We are on the verge of Winters too but our winters are really mild and will stay not for more than a month or so. Lovely poem :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

B is for Beauty of the Birds #AtoZChallenge

#MicroblogMonday - Small Actions Do Make a Difference