Hospital Story - May 9

I didn't get a story done yesterday so I was determined to get one done today.

Today's story a day is to write a story with a hospital setting showing some tension.

831 words 

“So have you chosen a name yet, Laurie?” my mother-in-law, Maxine said as she arranged all the congratulatory flowers and cards on the dresser next to my hospital bed.

“Not yet. We thought we’d wait and see what his personality suggested first,” I caressed my son’s soft downy head as he suckled against my breast.  He swallowed and let out a big smack of contentment.

“Don’t leave it too long. The lad needs a name,” Maxine said, her lips pinched together in that way she always did when she was restraining herself from saying too much. It didn’t help.

The door opened and the hallway echoed with the sounds of talking and loud footsteps, punctuated by the occasional page for a doctor to come right away. The smell of strong disinfectant stung my nose and made me light headed. Or maybe it was the fact I’d had over 26 hours of labour.

 “I think he looks like our side of the family,” my mother piped up as she came into the room clutching onto a huge Teddy bear with a big blue bow that was almost as big as she was. She set it down on a chair and came over to the side of the bed to gaze at the baby with that “Adoring grandmother” look. She smoothed out my hospital sheets and adjusted the pillows behind me. “How are you, Dear?” she brushed my bangs across my forehead the way she did when I was small. “You look so pale and tired. I hope you aren’t anemic.” She took the baby and put him against her shoulder to burp him, patting his back.

“I’m fine, Mom. I’m just a bit tired. It was a long labour.”

“I know all about it, Dear. I gave birth to five of you and back then we didn’t have the luxury of pain relief. I did it all natural.” Mom said. She rocked back and forth on her feet, the baby snoozing against her shoulder. She looked over at Maxine for approval.

“Me, too,” Maxine chimed in. “I gave birth to twins and two boys all in the space of three years. Bob just couldn’t stay away from me, right Bob?” My father in law was asleep in the chair by the window. He gave a loud snore in response.

Where was Dave? He said he’d only be a minute getting some coffee. A minute had turned into half an hour.
All I wanted to do was sleep for a week. I let out a big yawn but no one seemed to take the hint.

 “I think he looks like Uncle George, don’t you, Bob?”  Maxine nudged my father in law. He jumped with surprise and woke up.
 “Yes, dear,” he said in a robotic fashion. He had learned long ago not to disagree with his wife.

“Oh, no. He looks just like your departed father,” my mother said. “Look at his strong forehead. Daddy had a strong forehead, too.”

“He’s his own unique self and will have a special name picked just for him,” I said, hoping to avoid WW3 breaking out.

“But of course, Laurie,” Maxine said. “We wouldn’t dream of interfering, would we, Kay?” She looked at my mother.

“Oh, no. His name is yours and Dave’s decision,” Mom said, shocked that Maxine would even suggest such a thing.

“What’s our decision?” Dave said coming in the room sipping on a large coffee.

“The name for the baby,” I said drooling at the sight of the big steaming cup he was holding. I sniffed the air enjoying the caffeine fumes. How I would have loved to guzzle the whole thing.

“None for you. You’re nursing,” Mom wagged her finger at me.

“Yes, Mom,” I said with a weary sigh.

“We should go,” Maxine finally said, getting to her feet. “We’ll be back tomorrow.” She nudged Bob to get up.

“I should go, too,” Mom said. “You must be tired.”

“Thanks for coming,” I said, trying not to look too relieved they were leaving.

After a few more baby cuddles, they finally left.

“I never thought they’d go,” I said with an exhausted sigh.

“Yeh, your mom is trying at the best of times,” Dave said, taking the last few sips of coffee.

“My mom. What about yours? She’s not exactly easy either.” I glared at him and he gave me one of his confused little boy looks wondering why I was being so mean to him.

“Well, look at that,” Dave said, getting up quickly. “I’m all out of coffee. Guess I’ll go get some more. I’ll be back in a minute.”

Finally there was peace and quiet with just the baby to worry about. I closed my eyes and tried to sleep.

“Wake up now, little mama!” a loud voice sang out. Time to take your temperature and blood pressure.” I opened my eyes to see a big bosomed nurse hovering over me.

So much for getting any rest today.


  1. so so true… love the way you write… but I want more… what is that baby's name??

    1. Thanks, ChocolateMA! I don't know his name! They still haven't decided!

  2. My 27 hour labor (at 7000 feet elevation, at the end of a brutally hot, shadeless Montana summer) resulted in an emergency C-section and a whopping 10 pound, 2 oz boy who could hold up his head.

    He was also nearly three weeks late, so no mothers were physically present. Mine, though, made her dissatisfaction that we had not chosen to move to New York before his birth clear enough that it brought me to tears, more than once. She wanted to be there when he was born.

    She was there for the next birth -and that was disastrous. Our son was born not breathing, and lived his entire life in the NICU/

    When our daughter was born a year later, by scheduled C-section, she stayed in the waiting room. I would have preferred she'd waited at home...

    You'v caught the tensions and rivalries and tendency to all but ignore what a new mother has just endured perfectly, here. I think this mom ought to take her time in the selection of the name, no matter what anyone has to say about it.

    1. Thanks for your comments and telling me of your birth experiences, Shan. I feel for you as it sounds like you had a rough time of it. It is such a bewildering and exhausting time. I'm grateful for my two sons and was so happy when they were born, especially since we lost our first tragically, but I am glad that part of my life is over.


Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

#MicroblogMonday - Small Actions Do Make a Difference

Wise Sarah Says