Wise Sarah Says
For a joke, some friends had dressed a mannequin to look like her and called it Sarah, after Sarah in the Bible.
There is a Norwegian legend that when a woman turns 50, she becomes a wise Sarah with experience, wisdom and insight like the biblical Sarah.
It’s true that by the time we’ve reached 50, we’ve learned a lot about life and ourselves. Of course, we still mess up and still get stuck in ways of being that aren’t the best.
With the wisdom of experience, we’ve learned to forgive, let go, grow, move on and appreciate what’s important.
Today’s blogging topic from Write Tribe’s blogging challenge is to ask a question. I decided on this one.
If you could go back in time and tell a younger version of yourself one thing, what would you tell?
- Don’t worry so much about doing it right. It’s okay to make mistakes. That’s how you learn and grow. Even if you're scared, give it a try.
- Love yourself more and don’t be so hard on yourself. You are amazing, flaws and all!
- See life as a big adventure instead of an endurance test.
- Not everyone will like you and you won’t like everyone. Just like life being unfair, that’s just the way it is. Don’t be a people pleaser as some people aren’t worth the effort.
- Stop fretting about past mistakes or worrying about looking foolish in the future. Most people are too worried about themselves to even notice.
- Stop being so passive and waiting for life to happen to you. Stop acting like your life is a movie you’re watching. You’re starring in the movie, you’re not in the audience. Start playing a more active role. You can make things happen by your actions and choices. You may not always be able to control what happens, but how you react is up to you.
- Don’t let people use you for a doormat. You deserve respect. Avoid toxic people and establish boundaries with those who judge you or try to tear you down.
- Relax. Laugh. Love. Forgive.
- Let go of grudges, hurt and hate.
- Have more fun and don’t take everything so seriously, especially yourself.
- Realize that it all goes very quickly so be in the moment as that’s all there is.
- Life is short and precious with an unknown expiry date. Enjoy it.
I am writing this question on the second day of the week long Write Tribe Blogging Festival.
Based on Darren Rowes, Seven Days to Rediscovering Your Blogging Groove.
Excellent advice for any age! Awesome!ReplyDelete
Thanks, Kathy. Good things to aim for anyhow. I'm sure not perfect at all of them.Delete
I liked the wisdom shared by the wise Sarah. Interesting custom too :)ReplyDelete
That Sarah is very wise. She could teach me a lot.Delete
Sarah's advice is spot on, Cat! Love the post!ReplyDelete
Thanks, Vidya. Good things to work on though I'm sure not perfect at all of them.Delete
Sarah is indeed wise. Age provides such profound perspective.ReplyDelete
It does for sure, Tulika. I often wish I could go back to my youth and do it over again with the wisdom of age.Delete
Sarah is a wise lady, for sure :) I am happy because in less than 2 years I too will be turning 50, so there is hope for me :)ReplyDelete
You seem very wise already, Beloo!Delete
I love, love, love Sarah's wisdom! Cat, you queen, you! My favourite is to avoid toxic people. Such a wealth of learning there! Sharing this post, Cat :)ReplyDelete
Yes, toxic people aren't worth the bother, are they? Thanks for sharing and appreciating my post.Delete
Each and every lesson in the post is priceless, especially, 8,9, 10! Lessons learnt and feeling enlightened! Thanks a lot, Cat!ReplyDelete
Thanks, Shilpa. Glad you liked my life's lessons. I still need to work on so many of them and am not perfect, that's for sure.Delete
Wow! What an amazing post! Loved every single point you've stated here. Indeed, life's about living it fully rather than worrying about being judged.ReplyDelete
Whenever I can let go of the worry about what others think, I always feel so much freer. Thanks, Vinodini!Delete
wow! I like wise Sarah's advice!ReplyDelete
My own advice - "Don't take life so seriously; nothing is permanent, especially sadness"
My favorite lines -
"Not everyone will like you and you won’t like everyone. Just like life being unfair, that’s just the way it is. Don’t be a people pleaser as some people aren’t worth the effort."
"Relax. Laugh. Love. Forgive."
"Life is short and precious with an unknown expiry date. Enjoy it."
Glad you liked it, pixie. I agree with what you said about sadness, too. We pass through hard phases but usually it's only temporary and then changes. Nothing is permanent as you said.Delete
Wise Sarah is wise. And so is Wise Cathy! :)ReplyDelete
Aw, thanks, Laurel. *hugs*Delete
Cathy thats an amazing advice. Thanks for sharing.ReplyDelete
Thanks for the encouragement, Cynthia. Much appreciated.Delete
so many thoughful advices :)ReplyDelete
/Relax. Laugh. Love. Forgive// I would say this too :D
Thanks Rajlakshimi. Yes, we need to enjoy life more, don't we?Delete
A wise list and a wise post with a wise ceremony Cathy, that means you too are wise! ;) I wish they had that for my 50th! ;) <3ReplyDelete
Me, too, Elly. I like that Wise Sarah idea. Good to be reminded that we have gained a lot of wisdom and life experience by the time we reach 50. We tend to forget that.Delete
Oh, and I forgot to mention, my wiser self would say along the lines of, "Be kind and gentle with yourself." and maybe something about nurturing my inner child more. :) <3ReplyDelete
Oh yes, that inner child needs to be nurtured for sure. Good one.Delete