Talk is Cheap but Listening is Gold



Talk, talk, talk, we’re good at that
Day in day out, we like to chat,
What a noisy world where everyone is talking
Some even talk on the phone while walking,

We talk and talk without stopping to think
We talk about everything but the kitchen sink,
But listening is a more important skill.
Just close your mouth and keep it still,

Do you actively listen or wait to reply?
Do you listen patiently, do you even try?
Because conversation is a two way street
Having someone listen is mighty sweet,

Having someone listen can make your day
Much more than anything you can say,
Talk is cheap but listening is gold
It’ll keep you company when you get old,

Instead of your mouth, why not open each ear?
You’ll be amazed by everything you hear,
Listening costs nothing and is completely free
Hey you out there? Are you listening to me?

Comments

  1. So true! While talking is fun, listening to what others have to say is key and valuable. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We should all listen twice as much as we talk, I think, but I doubt that will happen. Thanks for commenting.

      Delete
  2. So true. I was very proud that I was a good listener. But nowadays talking seems to be happening more with me too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great you're a good listener, Sheethal. We're all so distracted these days with phones etc. It's harder than ever to listen and focus.

      Delete
  3. Very true... I am a good listener BTW and also someone who talks a lot !!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good you can balance both, Tina. Not everyone can!

      Delete
  4. So very true Cat....Yes I listen...I like to listen but I haven't found many people who have the patience to listen to me..But then I talk very less...

    Random Thoughts Naba - Healing Together

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's true we are not patient these days and we want everything in a hurry, it seems. Listening gets forgotten.

      Delete
  5. I'm guilty of walking and talking......that's the only time I can find to talk! But I agree a good listener makes a good talker

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it has to be 50/50 to make good communication. You're funny about the walking and talking.

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Too many distractions everywhere makes it harder to focus and listen.

      Delete
  7. Ok.. I give up... I figure my comment will either be here 3 times or not at all... I think I'm signed in... I think I'm doing it correctly... So ... As usual a thoughtful commentary... Somehow my wars just are not as easy to open... A good reminder to use more effort..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your two comments, ChoccyMA. Much appreciated.

      Delete
  8. I'm listening!

    I find I do more listening than talking in group settings, but one-on-one, the talk/listen ratio is pretty even. At least I hope it is! Maybe I better pay closer attention to how much I'm listening.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I tend to be quiet in groups, too. I don't think I talk a lot but sometimes I can get yappy if I'm excited about something. My main problem is not being an active listener sometimes with the boys. They'll say something and I'll realize I never even heard them.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

B is for Beauty of the Birds #AtoZChallenge

#MicroblogMonday - Small Actions Do Make a Difference