G is for Gumboots



Today is the letter G for Gumboots.

I dedicate this post to my mom, Berni, who has many memories of wearing these type of rubber boots, growing up on Cape Breton Island, Nova Scotia where it is often very snowy, wet and muddy, especially this year after one heck of a winter. She calls them her “touch the earth” boots.


My boots are very worn and old
They’ve been through a lot,
I wear them even when it’s cold
I wear them when it’s not,

Rain is not a problem
with these babies on my feet,
I pull them on and away I go
Come get me, snow and sleet!

Gardening is easy peasy
When I wear these boots,
They put me in touch with Nature
And in touch with my roots

They say I have no fashion sense
But I don’t care what they say,
I pull on my gumboots
And I’m ready to face the day!

This April I am participating in the A-Z Challenge 



and the NaPoWroMo Challenge NaPoWriMo where I will write a post and a poem for each letter of the alphabet each day in April except for Sundays.

Comments

  1. Cute! This is something I actually need to buy for working in the yard, but never seem to get around to it. Maybe this Spring I'll remember!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this poem Cat and especially these lines: "...with these babies on my feet" and "Gardening is easy peasy...: Thanks for making me grin even though I don't own - never have - a pair though wish I did! ;) <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice! I used to wear gumboots during the monsoon to protect against rain but using them while gardening seems a good idea. Stopping by via the AtoZ. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't have gumboots, but I feel they are the best to wear during rainy season.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brilliant poem, Cathy! You've painted such a vivid mental image of your Mom in her gumboots. ☺I have to dig mine out - haven't worn them in a few years.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ditch fashion, nothing can be more practical when it comes to gumboots!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

B is for Beauty of the Birds #AtoZChallenge

#MicroblogMonday - Small Actions Do Make a Difference