W is for Winter

Feeling badly for my poor parents in Cape Breton, Nova Scotia today having yet another snowstorm on April 27th! Yikes! Here is a photo of what it looks like there. I dedicate this poem to them as they have had a humdinger of a winter this year.

I used this photo my dad took of the snow for my poster today so photo credits go to him.


Canadians love to complain about winter
It gets under our skin like a great big splinter,
“Is it cold enough for ya?” Canadians say
As common a phrase, as “Have a Nice Day!”

Winters in Canada are long and cold
They wear us down and make us feel old,
Trudging through great big drifts of snow
We forget that there is green grass below,

We look forward to spring like a lovesick teen
So eager to see things budding and green,
To feel the warmth and enjoy the sun
To ditch the coats and have some fun,

We Canadians like to think we’re tough
But even we have had enough,
We’re so sick of never ending snow
Come on Winter, it’s time to go!

This April I am participating in the A-Z Challenge 










and the NaPoWroMo Challenge NaPoWriMo where I will write a post and a poem for each letter of the alphabet each day in April except for Sundays.

Comments

  1. Your poor parents, Cat. Hope spring gives the snow and winter a firm nudge out the door. Here's wishing them warm, sunny, happy days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Varan! Finally spring has arrived and we are all very happy!

      Delete
  2. Oh what an amusing poem Cat - so true! - as I understand having survived winters in Ontario, Canada. And your poor folks to still grin and bear it, even with a snowstorm in mid-to-late spring. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Elly! You guys out in BC have it easy in comparison to we rugged Ontarians. Hahah! But my folks have had it even harder than me this year. So glad spring is here at last.

      Delete
  3. Aww, Cat! My heart goes out to your parents and to you, too! I used to think snow can be such a blessing, but, I guess, impressions can be deceiving! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Snow is great at Christmas, Shilpa but after that, not so much. I'm so glad spring is here at last!

      Delete
  4. I just love how you express with your smooth flowing rhythmic words :D Ahh winters.. I really don't like them. I can't imagine how it must be in snow covered areas. The 12 degree C here makes me feel like polar bear. :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Rajlakshmi. Yes, winter is hard to endure in this part of the world. No wonder we rejoice so much when spring arrives.

      Delete
  5. Long and harsh cold season can be tough! Here's to the warm and sunny season in your part of the world, Cat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Shilpa. I am so happy it is spring at last. YAY!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

B is for Beauty of the Birds #AtoZChallenge

#MicroblogMonday - Small Actions Do Make a Difference